Friday, March 1, 2013

Day 1

You know whats gnarly? Hard boiled eggs and green juice for breakfast. I'm not gonna lie, the egg stink, and my attitude right now, are both pretty terrible.

I had some really good intentions about going grocery shopping last night, getting myself set up for this 30 day challenge, and preparing meals and a game plan to take the work out of the first few days of this.

I'd be lying if I didnt tell you that in actuality I spent the majority of my night last night eating tacos and drinking beer with a friend at a newly opened restaurant we both wanted to go check out. I'd also be lying if I didn't admit that I'm having a little anxiety about what I'm going to say about my new diet at the lunch I have today with a food writer to discuss the opening of our newest restaurant project. Who wants to hang with a restaurant publicist that's on a diet and won't even drink? Not me. And who wants to BE the restaurant publicist that's on a diet and won't even drink? DEFINITELY not me.

I guess the point of this blog is two-fold: 1) i'm doing a challenge at the gym which involves blogging my daily activity; and 2) putting my intentions out here in public makes me accountable. I've been toying with the idea of paleo for a while now but have always rationalized it away, saying I'm not a Crossfitter, I don't really lift. My daily workouts are without question always a run, and then if I have time, some PT work that I either make up as I go, or I read about in the Spartan WOD. This approach has gotten me pretty far--I've cut weight and actually gotten into and started enjoying the exercise. But I've plateaued.

It's time for a true confession MTV-style, dear readers: my primary motivation here is not about healthy living because I think I'm doing relatively ok on that front. I exercise regularly and eat relatively healthfully. The motivation for this 30 day challenge is straight up, unadulterated, 100% vanity. I want abs like this. I want a b-o-d that looks like this. And I don't want to feel like this anymore. You know that poignant and touching episode of Full House where DJ Tanner goes on a crazy exercise binge to get bikini ready--you know, this one--that's basically me. But the all or nothing dieting and the excessive cardio didnt work for Donna Joe, and they CLEARLY aren't working for me.

SO, on day 1 of this challenge, I am shrugging off that I didnt make it to the gym this morning in time for the 7am bootcamp. I am proud of my 31 minute 4 mile run (that's a sub-8 pace, y'all). I'm stoked about the 25 minute TRX circuit I got in (thanks Pete!). And I'm stoked that the air quality post-eggs, much like my attitude post-blog entry, have both improved.

So, on day one, I feel a lot like Jesse Spano (minus the caffeine pills). I'm both excited, scared, and ready to make a change.

No comments:

Post a Comment