Friday, March 29, 2013

Day 29: Holy crap, we're headed home

"The Final Countdown" was playing on repeat in my head all day long. It's official: we are in the final two day home stretch.

Today turned out to be a preposterously nice day to run outside, so that's what I did. Before meeting up with some friends on their way out of the city after work today, I headed over to the east river to get in a quick run and enjoy the weather. My phone was about to die, so I left it plugged in at the office to charge, and head out on my run sans music, obviously my inner playlist of the aforementioned song was the exception.

Running without music is something I never do because it sucks, and so I've been trying to do more of it lately. One of the things I've gotten out of this whole paleo experience is that doing things the easy way, or at least, the easier way, lessens the inevitable reward of finishing. I like running with music, because as I've mentioned before, it keeps me on tempo and helps me with my motivation. But this whole month of paleo has triggered a desire in me to try to eliminate more of the external influences on my quest for fitness, and really, for being a happier, better version of myself. I want to be the one pushing myself. I want to be responsible for my success at the end of this, whenever that may be.

My legs were pretty tight from TRX last night, and from a short 3 mile run and some spinning this morning so I was going way slower than I normally do. But it felt good. It felt necessary. For some people (read: me, before this past month) a successful Friday night was measured in drinks. For me lately, it's measured in miles logged. I think I'm getting old....



No comments:

Post a Comment