Sunday, March 24, 2013

Day 23 & Day 24: The Weekend

This morning I woke up and decided I wanted to log some serious miles.

So I downed two cups of coffee, two slices of paleo bread with almond butter, and sat around for about an hour waiting for it to digest, googling motivation via ultramarathoner blogs.

My original plan had been to get up and hit the road for a 10 miler around 8ish, and have enough time to recover, have some breakfast and make it to Boot Camp at 10:30 but that quickly went out the window when my googling got way out of hand and I looked at the clock and saw it was 9:35am. SO, I scrapped boot camp and decided today I was just going to hit the roads.

I got a Garmin GPS watch a couple of months ago and haven't been so good about using it but today when I walked out I doubled back to grab it. And I'm glad I did. I used to be a pretty avid MapMyRun user, but I realized during a recent race that it had pretty questionable accuracy when at the mile 3 road mark it said I was at mile 3.57. Ever since then, I've used it, but more for the map to show my overall distance and for the clock.

So the Garmin today was awesome to have. I ended up logging around 12.65 miles, cut short by some lunchtime plans. It was a slower, more leisurely run--I did it at an average pace of 9:08--but it let me relax and let me think about a lot of things.

Namely, how ready I am for this overly strict portion of the paleo experience to be over. I miss vinegar. I miss butter. I really miss beer.

I think one of the best things about the last almost month has been how hard sticking to this program has been for me, and how much I've learned about myself in making sure I follow through. I don't doubt once my 30 days are officially up that I will slip more frequently, and that the fouls will be way more flagrant than the occasional tablespoon of regular milk in my coffee, but they're definitely going to be conscious decisions I'm making to cheat rather than my regular dietary choices. And I think that was the general point of all of this. Well, that and to drop some weight. Which, I have to be honest, is coming off way slower than it was when I started this whole thing. Official weigh in this morning had me down 13.8 lbs since day one.

No comments:

Post a Comment