Monday, March 4, 2013

Day 4: Little Victories

Today's post is going to be brief. Mostly because I went out for lunch today and my inner fat kid (from here on out referred to as my IFK) is pouting, and she's the one in charge of the comedy.

Today was a minor (read: major) victory in my world of paleo-dieting. See, one of the best parts about my job is that I get to eat at some of the greatest restaurants in New York City. It's a luxury that pays off in innumerable ways when you're living in a shoebox with no kitchen space, on a serious budget, and not the greatest participant in the culinary arts. And being able to keep up with the industry big dogs when it comes to both the amount I can consume, and the frequency at which I consume it has been a badge of honor I've worn with fat kid pride. I'd 100% fit in at the table here, and would for sure give Alana a run for her money.

So let's get to paleo victory number one of the day: I went to lunch and I didnt, I repeat, DIDN'T chow down on the rainstorm of fried delicacies that landed on our table. I'm talking onion rings, curly fries, peppadew poppers and bacon and blue cheese hush puppies.

Instead, I ordered five hard boiled eggs and a green juice.

Just kidding. Eggs and I are on a brief hiatus from our love affair, but don't worry, absence only makes the heart grow fonder. No, lunch today consisted of a chopped steak (think fancy hamburger), sans cheese and bun, with avocado, lettuce, tomato and onion. In a previous life (like, less than a week ago) my IFK would have reigned supreme, and I would have tried one of each of the above listed forbidden fruits. But today, I am living in a paleo world, and I am a pa-paleo girl. So I stuck to my chopped steak, which, I must admit, was really delicious and totally satisfying.

Paleo-victory number two is one I will be battling to officially win for a while. You see, it's Girl Scout cookie season, e'rybody. And that diabetes-inducing fairy just rolled into town, no doubt taking a few souls with her. I 100% blame my IFK for the four UNOPENED boxes that are sitting on my desk right now, but in her defense, she ordered them like a month ago, and she had no idea I'd be totally phasing her out. But, much like Dennis Rodman advising El Presidente about how to deal with North Korea, my IFK needs to learn her place, so if you're in the market for some Thin Mints, Samoas or Tagalongs, just let me know.  They're all yours.

Oh, and just so I'm fulfilling my original goal here, today's workout consisted of a 20 minute run at a 7:15 pace, followed by some PT work: burpees, lunges, squats, pushups, sit ups, planks. And I'll be hitting spinning tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment