Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Day 26: Not So Typical Tuesday

Tuesdays are normally the bain of my work week existence. Monday you know is going to suck, and you're prepared mentally for just how sucky it's going to be. But Tuesday, Tuesday is the weekday equivalent to a carbon monoxide leak. Energy levels are low, you have a mild headache that doesn't get better or worse throughout the entire day, you're generally confused about what exactly is going on, and if you're lucky, you just pass out and wake up to the clear morning air of middle of the week marker, Wednesday.

But, aside from putting my black wallet on top of a freshly painted white cabinet and losing a favorite piece of jewelry, this Tuesday proved to be slightly different than the normal weekday equivalent to one of my most searched WebMD diagnoses.

 As I mentioned in a previous post, I am signed up for my second GoRuck Challenge on April 6th.

For whatever reason, my excitement about the challenge didn't really kick in until this week as the clock starting ticking down below the two week mark.

I'm excited about this GoRuck for a bunch of reasons:

1) I was basically in an anxiety blackout throughout the entire first one we did. I vaguely remember turning to the only other person I knew going into the challenge when he asked me how I was doing and saying something to him about not speaking to or looking at me, and never doing anything this stupid ever again. But this time I'm older and slightly wiser to the ways of the world of GoRuck. I can expect that they will hold us to their motto of Embracing the Suck, and I know I'll experience 8-12 hours of Good Livin'.

2) I've been training with and without my ruck, which is a vast improvement over the last challenge. Prior to my last GoRuck, I was maxing out at 4 mile workouts and that was basically it. I didn't once put my ruck on, nor did I conceive of the physical torture that wearing a backpack with 25 extra pounds in it for that amount of time would wreak on my neck, back and shoulders. The day after the challenge, i was literally like a turtle on its back--I couldn't get up without someone else's help. I mean, nothing lightens you up faster than letting go of some of that weight known as your own dignity and asking someone to help you stand up, and also look left and right for you because you literally can't turn your own head.

3) It might be mental, but eating this cleanly has really accelerated the amount of time it takes my body to recover from soreness and tightness. Which helps out with that whole preserving my dignity thing mentioned above.

Tonight I went to Boot camp, ran a solid 6 miles on the treadmill and did some mental prep in the form of rucking with 25 lbs in my backpack for about 30 minutes. It in no way compares to the amount of mental and physical fortitude I'll need to get through the challenge in 11 days (holy crap!) but it was a pretty solid workout, for a Tuesday.

Oh, and did I forget to mention, scale read down 14.5 lbs today. That's .5lbs in the next 5 days to hit my goal:) Hollaaaa.

No comments:

Post a Comment